Monday, April 3, 2017

Tinkering with paint. I can't stop myself from modding!

This time I spent under $100 for this project which is actually really budget minded.

I ordered 2 cans of color match spray paint from automotivetouchup.com along with 1 can of SprayMax 2K clear coat. 2k has a built in hardener in the can so it will dry hard like a pro job and give you reduced chances of chipping as well as keep sealing the basepaint so chemical spills like gasoline won't harm it. CAUTION: BE sure to have a respirator when spraying that clearcoat. There's poisons that will kill you! Also use common sense to wear gloves and not to spray indoors unless you have great ventilation.



I already had primer and adhesion promotor from my last repair as well as various grit sandpaper.

The weekend mission was to paint my rear "chrome" bumper caps, door moldings and front grill pieces in body color quicksand.

I bought my door moldings on ebay for $35 painted ford black. I had a good cutter to trim down 2 moldings to side and grinded the edge straight. Why didn't I buy the Tacoma paint matched ones in the first place? Because they were $135 and I was planning on painting trim anyhow.




I wanted to give a little flare and difference on the SR5 grill I installed so I painted the emblem and the outer grill body color. I think it looked great.






Mission accomplished! Not the greatest job but you'll have to get up nice and close to see it wasn't a pro job. I can't complain for spending under $100.

Check out my video summary of what I did this weekend on YouTube.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My DIY splitter / lip for the R. Cheap mod!

Today I made my own splitter. I used my old Kerscher lip as a template to cut out some 1/4 inch ABS sheeting. Used my heat gun to make t...