Friday, August 5, 2016

Light Sensor Visit Workshop!!!!! What is this???

As you know I just picked up a 02 AMG C32.

The previous owner pointed out a few issues for transparency. Well he couldn't lie as it pops out at "faults" and "malfunctions" right on the dash display. haha.

Anyways one of the issues was "Light Sensor Visit Workshop."  I spent a few hours on the web trying to see what others had to say. It was consistent that logically you would assume it was an actually bad sensor but comments were that an old battery couldn't hold the same voltage so the light sensor was the first device that could sense it. This is a prime example why overengineering isn't always a good thing.

I checked the age of the current battery and it was just over a year old. Voltage test from my multimeter showed 12.5 volts which is lowish. The previous owner drove the car only 6000 on average per year. It was mostly garaged and sitting at home as the weekend toy. I slapped on the charger and got it up to 12.9 volts.

It didn't fix a thing.

So last night I'm about to order a replacement sensor but saw there were a few different part numbers. I decided to look at the part that I have. Well I opened up the cover to find it was disconnected!!!

I noticed there was no slack at all so somehow the wiring got too short and popped off. I'm guessing the windshield was replaced and that happened. Anyhow I had to pull off overhead console and rear view mirror. I loosened a bracket that holds the mirror in place. Yanked the wires for more slack and voila! No more light sensor issue!!!

Here's some pics below. It was midnight so pics didn't come out too clear.

Clearly disconnected!!!!







What a mess of wires!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Great information! Thanks for the post.

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information! Thanks for the post.

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rob, just found your page! I love all the Golf R info. Looks like you swapped out your JB1 for another piggyback. Any regrets? I have a JB1 coming and slapping it in this weekend.

    Keep up the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Glad the info is helping you out. I have some stuff on youtube too. I was a tune tester for the other pb. JB1 would be the better choice if on a budget and wanting to tweak. It's proven to put out more horsepower as well. I would say the best bang for the buck power add on besides the pedal box if you're a dsg owner.

      Delete

Featured Post

My DIY splitter / lip for the R. Cheap mod!

Today I made my own splitter. I used my old Kerscher lip as a template to cut out some 1/4 inch ABS sheeting. Used my heat gun to make t...