Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Toyota BHLM is a total PITA!!!!


If you guys don't know what BLHM means...it's a acronym for Black Head Light Mod. The parts inside the headlights are usually a chrome so to be different or sleeker, you open them up to black them out or perhaps paint them body color. Other retrofits can happen like HID projectors, angel eyes, demon eyes, etc...

Well the first thing to do is to open them up. Normally you'll need an oven but yours truly doesn't have one [LONG STORY] so I had to ghetto rig one using my electric roasting oven (works great for cooking moist turkey) and a cardbox box plus aluminum foil. I had tried a heatgun the the darn black housing would melt before the sealant got gooey. That sealant is a biggest PITA mofo in the world. I've done a retrofit with my Evo X headlights and these are just horrible to open up.

ghetto oven

First attempt with my "oven" failed miserably. I couldn't get anything even slightly apart and it got really ugly. I kept on raising the heat more and more. I gave up after 3 hours of sweating and cursing. This was a few nights ago.

Tonight I decided to give it another go. After 2 hours of heat and reheat I was able to crack them open. I decided to give the other light a try. Well I got it apart in 1 hour!!! That took 3 reheats total to get them open. The issue is the you need to get a good amount of heat on it so the inside sealant gives way but not to melt the black housing or 'bucket' as some call it. 

At least I'm improving. My fingers are sore though. I still need to take them apart for black out and think of maybe doing other stuff to them. 

Stay tuned!

serious it took a lot of work. 


So far I've disassembled them and did a hyperlapse video of that. 



Next thing was painting. The reflectors were actually tinted with Rustoleum tint spray so I'm hoping it would still reflect vs just regular black paint.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My DIY splitter / lip for the R. Cheap mod!

Today I made my own splitter. I used my old Kerscher lip as a template to cut out some 1/4 inch ABS sheeting. Used my heat gun to make t...