Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Things I don't like about the Golf R

So I've had my R for close to 3 months and 3300 miles.

I like a lot of things about the R but there are some quirky things that I don't like but I've moved on accepting it is what it is.

  • the smallish radio display. Not only it's like an Atari like large pixel screen (like Pixels the movie) it's slow as well. The good thing I don't have navigation so it doesn't bother me too much BUT the 2016s have remedied this with a cleaner screen.
  • what's up the the old school fat ipod plug? I mean it's 2015. It's all about lightning plugs. I know the flat plugs aren't ancient but in technology it is. VW could have tossed in a free lightning cable or even better a female USB connector so we can choose what to plug in! Again 2016s have remedied that what a USB port.
  • inconsistent interior trim choices - I'm referring to the door panel and passenger dash having a carbon fiber panel but the center console and trim, the steering wheel and speedo cluster trim are piano black. I don't mind either. Just choose one!
  • The blue door panel / door sill lighting is a nice night time accent feature. They should have extended it to the rear doors.
  • The infamous locked center armrest - Forum members had to find a fix since it wasn't legal for VW to send a armrest that can open due to have a electronic emergency brake. Now I really don't use it for much but hey...make it solid if it's not an option here!
  • Knee room feels like owning a mini van. Luckily I don't move my legs much but I have to say being 6' 1" and my knees are really close to the front console. The steering column sits lowish too and I feel like I can straddle the column if I needed to. Perhaps I can close up my knees  on a curve?
  • For an almost $40k car why not have memory seats? The leather quality is high end and comfortable. There are plenty of other adjustments like lumbar. 
  • Last but not least. When you put the AC on max the small display says "LO"  That just seems lost in translation unless it means the lowest temp possible. It should have been "HI" or "MX"
Overall I still like the car and the comfortable seats. It's the little things.






Really? Who owns an old ipod/iphone for a new car?

Carbon Fiber and lights are nice

Mini van knee room

LO for Max AC. Really?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

My DIY splitter / lip for the R. Cheap mod!

Today I made my own splitter. I used my old Kerscher lip as a template to cut out some 1/4 inch ABS sheeting. Used my heat gun to make t...